Skip to main content

About this Show

Liberally Stephanie Miller

News/Business. (2012) Comedian John Fugelsang joins for 'Fridays with Fugelsang'. New. (CC) (Stereo)

NETWORK

DURATION
03:00:00

RATING
PG

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 107 (CURNT)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
528

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Stephanie 208, Stephanie Miller 34, Us 27, Charlotte 15, North Carolina 13, Romney 9, America 6, Jennifer Grandholm 6, Mitt Romney 6, Pennsylvania 5, Joe Biden 5, Obama 5, John Fugelsang 5, John Kerry 5, Vo 5, Ron 5, Bill Clinton 5, Tom Brokaw 5, Clinton 5, Barack Obama 4,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  Current    Liberally Stephanie Miller    News/Business.  (2012) Comedian John Fugelsang  
   joins for 'Fridays with Fugelsang'. New. (CC) (Stereo)  

    September 7, 2012
    6:00 - 9:00am PDT  

6:00am
6:01am
6:02am
6:03am
6:04am
6:05am
6:06am
6:07am
6:08am
6:09am
6:10am
6:11am
6:12am
6:13am
6:14am
6:15am
6:16am
6:17am
6:18am
6:19am
6:20am
6:21am
6:22am
6:23am
6:24am
♪ hanie miller. ♪ -- ain't that america, home of the free, yeah -- >> stephanie: and stephanie you are not supposed to wear the flag as clothing. >> stephanie: i'm not wearing it as clothing. >> who do you think you are andy hoffman? >> stephanie: okay. i apologize i was doing a little preshow skit with bill press. i did not mean to throw the flag on the floor. he was hitting me in the head with it. we have gotten calls, and i
6:25am
apologize apologize. it was all bill press's fault >> i got to admit, i was a boy scout and it made me flinch. >> stephanie: you still flinch every morning when i do this. so there were a couple of cans of beer on the podium. i'm guessing uncle joe. here is the love of my life and the life of my love. >> stephanie: the wtf moment. seriously -- there is going to be people mopping behind us. >> just like the closing moments of the carol burnett show. >> stephanie: carol burnett is going to go by with a mop in a
6:26am
moment. tom brokaw was all hopped on dolls. he took half an ambien. but out of abundance of caution -- i was like did it affect his articulation -- >> he started what they thought was stroking out on the air. >> stephanie: he apparently accidentally took an ambien -- i'm sorry, tom, you wanted to say what -- >> i swallowed -- and the giant butterfly kicked my gluteus maximum, and i apologize if i was even less comprehensive than usual. >> stephanie: lennesta would
6:27am
have been funnier because it has an l in it. >> he just needed to sparkle. >> stephanie: sparkle, brokaw sparkle. [ laughter ] >> stephanie: where do i? when do i? >> they dropped him right out of hollywood. >> hollywood does not go for booze or taupe. >> stephanie: sarah palin made a comment. >> how does he even know my name, aren't these guys supposed to be the big guys and not worry little people like me. i did made a comment on the alaska, and i had known what i was dealing with in dealing with international issues that could help secure the nation, so it's
6:28am
funny he would take a little pot shot like but it is also interesting he knows my name. >> she needs a period -- >> stephanie: first of all her premise never makes sense, and the rest of it she just fills the blue book out with words. >> random syllables, making the point that we are strategically located on the globe and when it comes to transportation corridors, the governor -- what? what? >> stephanie: wow. >> does she really think she is a little person? >> stephanie: apparently. how would john kerry have heard of her. we have guest palooza coming up
6:29am
right after this. live from the democratic national convention. show." ♪ ♪ this is the deal we made with them. this is why we said, will you take this lower salary because we'll give you this pension. this is their money. >>who the heck does mitt romney think he is? >>if mitt romney treats his magic underwear the same way as his tax returns, then he's been going commando for the past 10 years. >>since when do you get to say stuff like that on tv? >> listen, if you'd read your email once in a while, you'd know i have a new show. (vo) always outspoken. >> you think because this is an election year you can just say anything? >> hello! say anything, that's the name of the show.
6:30am
6:31am
6:32am
6:33am
[ ♪ music ♪ ] >> obama: if the critics are right that i made all of my decisions based on polls, i must not be very good reading them. i know exactly what lincoln meant when he said i have been driven to my knees many times by the overwhelming conviction that i had nowhere else to go. >> stephanie: powerful stuff i thought. i'm joined by terry o'neal
6:34am
president of the national organization of women. hey, ter. >> hey steph. it's going to be here. >> stephanie: thank you for joining us in the empty shell of the democratic national convention. what a convention where do you start, right? >> tuesday night michelle obama knocks it out of the park and absolutely electrifies the crowd. wednesday it gets better and by wednesday morning, the people were just pumped. >> stephanie: yeah, it's not just that we have the policies -- that are better for women, we presented i don't know how many amazing awesome women. that's the best thing you can do is show what awesome women are like including jennifer grandholm. let's hear line of the night. >> now sure sure mitt romney
6:35am
loves our lakes and our trees. he loves our car so much they even had their own elevator. [ laughter ] >> but the people who design and build and sell those cars well in romney's world, the cars get the elevator and the workers get the shaft! [ cheers and applause ] >> stephanie: okay. by the way -- in fact every day we feature someone who gets it done on the "stephanie miller show." jennifer grandholm got done last night. brought to you by granger who gets things done. >> she electrified that crowd. and that's what we needed. i talked to so many people who were here on monday. saying oh, we are very worried, but the republican convention was far lower energy than the
6:36am
democratic convention -- >> stephanie: the only thing devastating was clint eastwood's skit gone awry. >> that was bad. >> am i talking to four invisible entities or just five? >> stephanie: oh, boy. and speaking of amazing women, i don't know how you can be a human being and watch gabby give fors last night and not cry. here she is. >> i pledge allegiance to the flag of the united states of america, and to the republican for which it stands one nation under god, indivisible liberty and justice for all! [ cheers and applause ] >> stephanie: that phrase is overused, but literally not a dry eye in the house. >> yes and so many people
6:37am
especially women take care of their family members who have injuries like that. and you just applaud because she got it right. >> stephanie: one of the things that touches me the most is debbie wasserman schultz and her friendship. talk about women having each other's back -- >> yes. >> stephanie: this convention, you just can't plan stuff like that. that -- i mean people cried during michelle obama's speech. you can't manufacture that kind of emotion. >> people were crying at the republican convention, but for the wrong reasons. >> stephanie: right. reince preibus was backstage crying -- >> it was passion. the passion was ignited over and over again in this convention and they really needed to happen, because we are going to win this election on the ground.
6:38am
they have billions and they are not going to be constrained by fact checkers and the tens of thousands who were here have to get people to vote. and we have 60 days to do it. >> stephanie: i honestly in my personal and professional life have never seen women so angry. >> yes. >> stephanie: and now they are doubling down. so many people here have buttons that say sluts vote of course referring to rush limbaugh. and it's like a shock at the rnc, but we were not the one that used the word. and we interviewed her and she could not be more classy. and the dnc piled on her speech
6:39am
again -- the same jokes, i hope they handed out condoms to sandra fluke at the convention. >> i know, and i think that kind of bullying they must believe it works. it clearly does not work with sandra fluke. she is a powerhouse charming very intelligent and keeps her cool, and knows those kinds of attacks on her with frankly stupid. >> yeah. >> but that kind of bullying does work against some people in some situations. the wonderful thing is to see sandra standing up there and just saying, don't be ridiculous, let's talk about the issues. >> stephanie: it's the same theme whether it's todd akin or rush limbaugh, it's -- you don't know which part is stupid
6:40am
misogynist scientifically inaccurate -- >> there must be some republican women who are upset about this. >> there are so many republican who will vote for obama or sit home and not vote. and independent women who are notorious for waiting to get all of the facts, i believe they will vote for barack obama. >> stephanie: i had my good friend cc goldwater on yesterday. and she has always been non-partisan, and she is -- like many women i know there just is no choice i don't think for women other than -- than president obama. it has become -- this divide has become too stark. >> very stark but women truly understand the connection between the republicans policies
6:41am
which would not only criminalize abortion in the case of rape and incest, but they would create dire consequences of health care for women. make no mistake, one in three women will have an abortion by the age of 45. it is a common and necessary aspect of women's reproductive health care. women know that. and that's why the gender gap is large and growing, because you hear these men talking about the female body has a way of shutting that whole thing down excuse me? >> and i know a lot of republican women who have told me my party has left me. the radical fringe has taken complete control of the republican party. >> to be fair that only happens
6:42am
during legitimate rape. what? >> i know. exactly. exactly. >> stephanie: that's the thing -- only president obama has the good sense to say rape is rape and stop talking then. no, no no. don't try to make us understand by comparing it to your daughter getting pregnant out offed we are lock -- >> yes, right. >> stephanie: from consensual sex. >> right. paul ryan there is a youtube video of him being asked about rape, and he says the first time i'm proud of my record and rape is rape and then he goes on talking, and seems to indicate that rape is another means of conception. >> stephanie: yeah literally they need to have a feel male handler where they need to literally get the cane -- so what? if they keep going, they could get to the same polling numbers
6:43am
as african-americans. we could make get to 94 to zero. which is in the margin of error. >> that leaves allen west and alan keys. >> stephanie: right, crazy guys named alan. >> exactly. [ laughter ] >> stephanie: the thing is, like you say, though with all of this money, the supper pacs absolutely we can't be complaisant, we have to mobilize, because literally i thought how much more money do they have to make paul ryan seem like he is prowomen. you can't trot women out as props whether they will relatives or not. >> this is exactly the difference between the two parties. the republican men are trotting
6:44am
the women out as props. any republican men are totally in control and making these whack-job policies against women, but i think they know it, particularly with women. so i think they will get on the airways and lie, lie lie. and then suppress the vote. and that is something that this crowd heard a lot about at this convention, and we are pumped to stop the voter suppression and get our people out to the poll and vote in such large numbers that they can't steal it. >> and do 2004 again. >> that's right. >> stephanie: mine favorite was the woman with the sign that said i didn't believe i have to protest this f again.
6:45am
and another one said don't probe me, boy. >> yeah. sniet's to shame women. >> it is purely to shame women. >> if you were really interested in stopping abortions, you would be for birth control. >> there you go. >> stephanie: that's the middle ages, right? >> seriously this is another reason why the gender gap is getting so large. remember back to the days when women did not have access to reliable birth control. ten, 15, sometimes 20 pregnancies in a lifetime. >> and it wasn't unnormal for women to die in childbirth -- >> stephanie: yes, and mitt romney had a family friend who
6:46am
died -- so that was his one core believe, as you know terry. women just can't win with this republican party. we were walking through the right-wing protesters and i am a gay win. i can't win. i'm not using contraceptions or having abortions you would think they would love me but no, i'm a third strike, and i'm out. >> exactly. >> stephanie: terry thanks so much for joining us today. appreciate it. >> real pleasure stephanie. thank you. >> stephanie: all right 48 minutes after the hour, here from the hollowed shell of the democratic national convention. >> announcer: highbrow, low brow unibrow. it's the "stephanie miller show." ♪ they're doing this this corruption based on corruption based on corruption.
6:47am
>>that's an understatement, eliot. fruit just got cooler. fruit on one side, cool on the other. new ice breakers duo. a fruity, cool way to break the ice.
6:48am
when a carpet is clean and fresh, it's irresistible. experience this in your home with resolve deep clean powder. its moist powder penetrates deep, removing three times more dirt than vacuuming alone while also neutralizing odors at their source. it's a clean you can see smell, and really enjoy. resolve deep clean powder. don't just vacuum clean, resolve clean.
6:49am
6:50am
>> we talk a lot about the influence of money in politics. it is the defining issue of this era. the candidate with the most money does win. this is a national crisis. ♪
6:51am
♪ we're the kids in america oh ho ♪ we're the kids in america, woe ho ♪ ♪ everybody lives for -- >> announcer: stephanie miller. ♪ somehow ♪ >> stephanie: okay. it's the end of the convention week the guy that is trying to kill me for the life insurance money has suddenly turned gay and is doing set designs. he is putting a flag on ever table. he is bored. we're all tired. we need a little nappy. >> and i need some cocktail. >> stephanie: i have had too many cocktails and i yet i need more.
6:52am
and this just in from tom brokaw. >> i accidentally had an abilafy, anal pazalam, an ozasilan and a llllll -- >> stephanie: he was all hopped up on dolls yesterday. that's why you have to switch to our show "talking liberally." >> yeah, we don't take dolls. we're incomprehensible on our own. >> incomprehensible. >> stephanie: of course. we're here at the democratic national convention. we're joined by ron -- ron? ron? ron going once? maybe not.
6:53am
maybe tony back in l.a. is all hopped up on dolls. >> hello. >> stephanie: oh, there is ron. good morning, ron. >> good morning. >> stephanie: how are you? >> okay. doing well. >> stephanie: doing well because we had a fabulous convention, did we not? >> i thought it was terrific. there was a lot of spirit and energy in that room -- >> stephanie: i mean -- >> and, you know, i read one of the accounts from someone at abc who said the difference between the two conventions was that folks at the democratic convention really love barack obama and with respect to mitt romney, it felt like an arranged marriage. [ laughter ] >> stephanie: okay. mom. [ laughter ] >> stephanie: yeah and by the way i thought joe biden knocked it out of the park last night. take a listen on health care. >> what they didn't tell you was the plan they are proposing
6:54am
would cause medicare to go bankrupt by 2016, and what they really didn't tell you is -- they if you want to know, if you want to know they are not for preserving medicare at all. they are for a new plan. it's called voucher care. >> stephanie: there you go. right? i mean i thought he was -- i thought he was great, joe biden. >> i thought he -- he was terrific. i -- i thought it was one of his better speeches. it was really good and i think he laid out the issues very well. >> stephanie: ron, obviously your issue, health care and it is amazing i still get all of the right-wing emails with misinformation. i thought bill clinton said it best paul ryan that takes some brass to accuse someone of doing what you did. >> that's true. it's worth concentrating for a
6:55am
moment on medicare. there are three things, i think to keep in mind with respect to medicare and the republicans. the first is republicans have been trying to confuse this issue by saying president obama cut $700 million from the medicare program. there are two problems with that, first is it didn't cut a red cent from what seniors are getting through medicare. what it did do was created efficiencies by making sure the insurance companies and the pharmaceutical companies that were getting windfall payment; that there would be greater efficiency and that helps the taxpayer. but what makes it actually stunning that the republicans have been accusing is that
6:56am
congressman ryan's plan is identical. >> stephanie: yeah. he thought it was a great idea too to cut the waste. >> yeah. and the affordable care act, obamacare provides significant new benefits for seniors. it provides them with preventive care services for free and for those seniors who have major drug costs who fall into the gap in coverage called the doughnut hole, they are getting help right now. they are getting 50% in discounts. of course if governor romney has his way, those improvements would be eliminated. and then you get to what the vice president said yesterday about voucher care. you know, we have a guaranteed benefit for seniors, and what the republicans want to do is they want to give seniors a voucher and with each passing
6:57am
year, the size of the voucher compared to total medicare costs will diminish and the amount of money that seniors will have to pay out of their own pocket will grow. and increasingly this will be unaffordable for seniors. so it really transforms the medicare program. so i think anybody who thinks the medicare program is important for themselvesor their parents or grandparents or in the future for those people who will be 65 in the not too distant future, this is really a very important issue. >> stephanie: absolutely. ron, so sorry we're at a hard break. thank you so much for taking time with us. appreciate it. >> you bet. >> stephanie: all right. 58 minutes after the hour. we roll along here in charlotte north carolina here at the
6:58am
democratic national convention. it's the "stephanie miller show." ♪ i'm going to be on with the governor tomorrow night. she is awesome. we'll be right back on the "stephanie miller show." [♪ theme music ♪] >> stephanie: okay. last day of convention coverage, we are if it's possible all drunk and hungover however, jacki schechner has pneumonia, and she worked convention coverage last night and she is this morning and tom brokaw has some questions for you. >> i want to break into your
6:59am
medicine cabinet and see if you have any cccozapron or any other medications that might be administered hhhhhorl. >> she is a health care expert so she might have some of that. >> stephanie: should i go there, what you said about jacki schechner and orally. >> oh don't go there. >> stephanie: all right. we love you. >> i love you guys. miss you terribly, can't wait for you to come back. we kept an eye on twitter and the president was generating the most compensation. his speech generated a record generating close to 53,000 a
7:00am
minute. the top tweet-getting line i'm no longer just the candidate, i'm the president. twitter users gave vice president joe biden a little bit of a hard time for using and misusing the world literally a whole lot, but the substance of biden's speech was solid. >> this man has courage in his soul, compassion in his heart, and a spine of steel! osama bin laden is dead and general motors is alive. >> and how about current tv's own jennifer grandholm as stephanie mentioned earlier, she praised the president and rocked the house. >> the calvary arrived and our new president, barack obama came in! [ cheers and applause ] >> he organized a rescue! he made the tough calls, and he saved the american auto
7:01am
industry! [ cheers and applause ] >> buzzfeed called her anfuago and suggests maybe it's time to start watching her show. we would agree. we're back with more stephanie after the break. ♪ go time. you know what time it is. go time. it's go time. it's go time. what time is it rob? here comes the young turks go time! it's go time. oh is it? then it's go. go. go. go. go. go. go. go time. anybody? anybody? what time is it? oh, right. go time! only on current tv.
7:02am
septic disasters are disgusting and costly, but avoidable. the rid-x septic subscriber program helps prevent backups by sending you monthly doses right to your door so you will never forget to maintain your system. sign up at rid-x.com. it doesn't matter who you are. she was trying to be cool. she walks in, bonus, bonus bonus, bonus. [ screaming ] by the way in heels, the same height. [ applause ] >> wow.
7:03am
>> stephanie: she's awesome. as is john fuglesang. thank you, boston. 18 minutes after the hour. let's continue on "the stephanie miller show." >> announcer: for a good time, [ beads rattling ] [ bass thudding ] [ beads rattling ]
7:04am
spearmint that tingles as you chew. stimulate your senses. 5 gum. now in micro pack. [♪ theme music ♪] >> announcer: ladies and gentlemen, it's the "stephanie miller show"! ♪ i'm walking on sunshine woe ho ♪ ♪ i'm walking on sunshine woe ho ♪ ♪ it's time to feel good ♪ ♪ hey all right now ♪ ♪ ♪ it's time to feel good ♪ >> stephanie: it is the "stephanie miller show." we are punchy. we spent entirely too much time
7:05am
with each other this week. sit the "stephanie miller show" live from the democratic national convention in charlotte, north carolina. the current engineer just looked at me with a look of horror and i think they are unplugging us -- >> that's fox news unplugging themselves. >> stephanie: oh, good. yay! >> just saying -- >> stephanie: and you finally plugged my time clock in because yesterday -- >> well. >> stephanie: thanks a lot, we ran out of power, so i didn't know it was the end of the show so i got a lot of hate mail like how dare you cut a veteran off -- >> and i wasn't paying attention because tina had got me back there telling me that our listeners are pervs. >> stephanie: and i said i blame jim. >> by our listeners she means me. >> no i guess she got some
7:06am
filthy things from our listeners. >> stephanie: i hope you are proud, jim. he was perving out on me. and he could not be more repulsed by me having worked with me so long. but once he gets a little wine in him -- he was hitting me. and being as easy as i am i invited him up to my room. >> and you spooned. >> we simulated various things -- >> i am absolutely horrified. >> i blame the lllnesta -- >> stephanie: and believe it or not we still have guests. even though we are in the hollowed out shell of the democratic national convention. by the way thank god we're on vacation next week guess who is filling in?
7:07am
>> no. >> stephanie: sexy liberal john fugelsang. oh, look, it is a jingle. >> i get the jingle in charlotte? >> you do. >> a jingle? shhhhhrlotte. >> stephanie: tom bro cow would like to say good morning. >> good morning ecleeziastical -- >> great job. >> stephanie: great job, honey. >> thank you, like i said last week, i feel like jeff lynn at the traveling willberries. >> stephanie: how about jennifer grandholm? >> i read the speech before i did. and she sent me a little drafts. she said i'm a little bit
7:08am
nervous, and i said this speech is dynamite in a slingshot. and she called me yesterday and said they cut her time down. and you saw what happened last night. she went out there and i thought it was arguably the best speech of the night. >> stephanie: the car elevator line, did you write that? >> i did not? >> stephanie: people were texting me, oh get scarlett johansson's number. she is hot. [ laughter ] >> stephanie: i'm like i'm in my hotel room with jim. >> i did say on the air last night with vice president gore how kerry washington won't stop calling me. >> stephanie: who were you and i perving out over in the purple dress -- >> oh, it was one of the biden -- >> stephanie: one of the biden family. but wow, that's the nice thing about being in your hotel room
7:09am
you can be totally inappropriate. >> it was an x-rated "stephanie miller show." >> stephanie: oh awesome. [ laughter ] >> stephanie: john where do you even start with this week. it was amazing. >> it really was. you think back to 2004, which i thought was a lackluster one 2008 which was like we were in ecstasy the whole time. they took so many cues of what the gop did wrong last week. and after the gop, where a bunch of people were united in their hatred for the other guy, then to see this week where people were just loving not their candidate, not their ex-president but loving what their party stands for. and the president's speech i thought was terrific. >> stephanie: i did too. here is a little piece of it. >> obama: as i stand here tonight, i have never been more
7:10am
hopeful about america, not because i think i have all of the answers, not because i'm naive about the magnitude of our challenges. i'm hopeful because of you. >> stephanie: that's why -- people forget, the right-wing has always mocked -- the slogan was yes we can. >> uh-huh. >> stephanie: and that's why i think it resinated so much and still does. >> i agree. and his speech was beautifully written. if you get a chance try to read it. we talked about it wasn't about me it was about you. that was a way of knocking down this vulgar messiah insult. and you did, to refute this lie that the gop has distorted. and i can imagine mitt romney waking up and going who drank my
7:11am
milk shake. [ laughter ] >> stephanie: somebody was saying about the debt they could say to the republicans you built that. >> uh-huh. and my attitude on detroit is we rebuilt that, and by we the government and business and workers together, and also -- i love all of the talk about bin laden. i think it is great. we saw the democrats taking back a lot of things the republicans have been pretending their own. fiscal responsibility honor for the military and family values. and all over twitter you have our right-wingers saying stop rubbing bin laden in our face -- >> stephanie: yeah, because the republicans wouldn't have mentioned it. you know they would never mentioned that if they had gotten him. >> oh yeah. >> stephanie: i loved john kerry's line, ask bin laden if he is better off than he was four years ago.
7:12am
>> john kerry was the rocky ford joke. that was dynamite. >> stephanie: here is more from the president. >> obama: we don't think the government can solve all of our problems, but we don't think the government is the source of all of our problems, any more than our welfare recipients or corporations, or unions, or immigrants, or gays or any other group we're told to blame for our troubles. [ cheers and applause ] >> stephanie: loved it. john i don't know if you heard us talking earlier, we had to walk back the right-wing protesters every day, the anti-choice and anti-gay protesters, and i was wearing my obama pride lgbt t-shirt the other day, and we walked by a guy, and chris do it this is exactly how he said it. >> you need to repent. >> stephanie: yeah. so how does he expect me to get up enthusiasm for repenting.
7:13am
>> you need to -- oh, whatever. i don't care. >> their whole argument is that this president has done a piss poor job fixing an economy wrecked by us. i can't wait to see joe biden debate paul ryan. >> stephanie: me too, and especially the presidential ones, because as obama said it's a little harder to do these proven untruths that romney has been saying and having ads about, it's a little harder to do to someone's face. >> and president clinton did a great job for laying that. clinton's speech was like candy for your brain, but obama's speech was for your heart. >> stephanie: michelle obama was
7:14am
the foreplay bill clinton was the actual sex and obama was the beautiful cuddle and the after glow. [ laughter ] >> i think he is right. tammy duckworth, and so many terrific speeches. they did a great job, they pulled it off, the celebrities they had were very, very tasteful. and obama orders the va to add staff to see suicidal vets within 24 hours. they earned their props on all of any military improvements they have gotten. >> stephanie: yeah, i thought that was interesting, exactly the powerful way they took back that whole, the military only supports republicans right? >> yeah, i would have like to have heard a little bit more about the stimulus, and heard a little bit more about gun
7:15am
control, but i respect what they are trying to do. and get on the bus, man, do you want to have romney as president or what? >> stephanie: i think to say i don't think there could be a better statement about gun control without saying a word than gabby giffords. i don't know anyone who didn't cry. >> that was beautiful. really, really well done. >> stephanie: yeah there were so many -- you are right, john, there were so many powerful moments, it's hard to choose all of the highlights. >> i do think after what we have seen happen to our country in the last three months that smart gun control, taking steps to make sure lunatics can't buy 6,000 rounds off of the internet, those are win-win issues for the democrats this year. >> stephanie: and here speaking of pro military here was one of the president's moments last
7:16am
night. >> obama: we understand this democracy is all of us. we the people. that our destinies are bound together. a freedom which asks only what is in it for me, a freedom without love duty or patriotism is unworthy of our founding ideals and those who died in their defense. [ cheers and applause ] >> wow. >> stephanie: just -- i -- honestly, just -- i can't say enough about this week, and how i -- i just -- i think people really -- you know it's funny john those fake ads of people for theater shows, like i laughed, i cried -- but it really was. >> i never thought it would be so moving. it really was about the things we're trying to do and have done. and what are the competing visions for the country. romney will do everything he can
7:17am
to make this election a referendum on the president. the democrats are saying you have a choice. we can go back to bush policy or go forward like this. and i think they did a good job of modulating how, yeah we're not there yet, but we have made so much progress. the sandra fluke speech was great. christiania from univision was there. i was hoping the guy from [ inaudible ] would come out. >> stephanie: that being said mitt romney is a bit of a douche. >> that's an insult to summer's eve, but okay. >> stephanie: john fugelsang filling in for us all next week. thanks honey, and great job this week. >> you guys did a great job. guests were great, interviews were great, and it was a pleasure watching you guys in a different setting. >> right back at ya.
7:18am
>> stephanie: all right. word. there he goes john fugelsang, sexy liberal. 19 minutes after the hour. right back on the "stephanie miller show" live from the dnc. >> announcer: it's the "stephanie miller show." ♪ you need lime-a-way. it's 4 times more effective at removing limescale than the leading bathroom cleaner. lime-a-way is specially formulated to conquer hard water stains. for lime, calcium and rust... lime-a-way is a must.
7:19am
7:20am
what the current audience can expect from my show is the unexpected. >>stephanie miller challenges the system, now it's your turn. >>it's a little bit of magic. >>connect with "talking liberally with stephanie miller"
7:21am
at facebook.com/stephaniemillershow and on twitter at smshow. ♪ >> announcer: stephanie miller. ♪ i'm coming out, so you better get this party started, i'm coming out ♪ ♪ i'm coming out so you better get this party starts ♪ ♪ get this party started ♪
7:22am
>> stephanie: yeah it is the "stephanie miller show" live -- actually we're kind of wrapping this party up. from the democratic national convention in charlotte, north carolina. we are join by christian row-finkbinder. she is the cofinder of moms rising. she needs some coffee this morning, but she is a mom that has risen. [ laughter ] >> it is much better this way, easy access. no hassles by any police. >> stephanie: no. no. you just yesterday -- you got to speak with michelle obama at the women's caucus. >> i was honored to be on the same stage as michelle obama. >> stephanie: okay. what is she like in person? is she as awesome as she seems like. >> she is scare illy awesome. >> stephanie: yeah that's what
7:23am
i have heard. she is beautiful and charming and smart and funny, and just seems to real. >> also she is well-dressed. >> stephanie: yeah i was sitting next to a straight man who stadium, girlfriend is wearing that dress. [ laughter ] >> and she is articulate. i feel that she should share. she does share, her speech was spectacular. >> stephanie: what did you talk about to the women's caucus and tell us about mom's rising. >> i do not want to be called a soccer mom anymore, because it gives an image of a woman sitting off on the sidelines of an important game and we modern moms are in the game. >> and literally in the
7:24am
olympics. >> right. and we're in the election. so the mom vote means a lot. and we're going to determine the vote again. so i talked a lot about that. >> stephanie: we talked to almost every segment of the female population whom the republican party has ticked off. [ laughter ] >> stephanie: can you speak for moms? >> i can't speak for all moms but over 80% of american women do have children by 44. but two, everybody has a mom. >> stephanie: right. i'm going to my 89-year-old republican moms for homemade vegetable soup right after this. >> exactly. what is our opinion? >> stephanie: no, we'll focus on the soup not the politics. [ laughter ] >> moms right now our organization i work for moms rising, what folks are concerned about are family economic
7:25am
security issues. we have a new labor force. three quarters of moms are now in the labor force, half of those are primary breadwinners so they have issues and concerns. >> stephanie: isn't that why i thought lilly ledbetter was so powerful to tell her story in person, and how it affects families, her husband, her kids -- >> yes. let's have a moment. this is a national economic issue, so stepping back to the numbers, because i'm kind of a geek and i love the numbers, but women make over 80% of purchasing decisions, and our national economy is built on consumer consumption. 70% of our national economy, so we're talking when women make less money that they have less money to spend and it impacts negatively the economy. yes, it's arithmetic. >> stephanie: as some awesome
7:26am
former president would say. [ laughter ] >> stephanie: what was your highlight of the week? >> one of my highlights is being here being able to talk to people like you -- >> stephanie: listen if this is your highlight sister -- >> my highlight is stephanie miller. [ laughter ] >> stephanie: i thought the president was pitch perfect last night. >> yes, and there was a moment when he first got on the stage i was concerned. he didn't have his usual fire, but then when he said the statement, i am standing here not as a candidate, but as your president, there was a hush and a feeling of a change of energy actually of a quiet empowerment that came over the stadium. >> stephanie: can you hang on -- that was a short break and we'll keep talking. >> i can. >> stephanie: you couldn't be more delightful. 28 minutes after the hour. back from the democratic national convention. it's the "stephanie miller show."
7:27am
♪ >> stephanie: like he could throw. drop on the pitcher's mound. >>who the heck does mitt romney think he is? (vo) this is joy on current tv. >>if mitt romney treats his magic underwear the same way as his tax returns, then he's been going commando for the past 10 years. >>since when do you get to say stuff like that on tv? >> listen, if you'd read your email once in a while, you'd know i have a new show. (vo) always outspoken. >> sometimes i feel like i don't even know you. >> just stay on your side of the screen, ok?
7:28am
7:29am
7:30am
get irresistibly clean and fresh carpets in your home with resolve deep clean powder. the moist powder removes three times more dirt than vacuuming alone while neutralizing odors for a clean you can see, smell and
7:31am
really enjoy. don't just vacuum clean. resolve clean. ♪ >> we understand that america is not about what can be done for us, it's about what can be done by us, together. through the hard and frustrating but necessary work of self government. that's what we believe. [ cheers and applause ] >> stephanie: yes, we can. bar-rocking the vote. here at the democratic national convention in charlotte, north carolina. the "stephanie miller show," 34 minutes after the hour. kristin, cofounders of mom's rising.
7:32am
this is why i don't produce a show, because no we have a backlog of guests. >> i am honored to be held. >> stephanie: now this is like a three-car pile up. >> yes, and they are all spectacular guests. >> stephanie: yes, they are. first of all two many kids and how old. >> stephanie: i have two one is 16 and one is 13 and they are towering over me. >> stephanie: wow, you don't look old enough to have children that old. >> that is a great compliment. >> stephanie: you were saying what is my favorite highlight -- it's hard to think of what your favorite highlight was. >> it is. >> stephanie: i guess i would say bill clinton because i went from gay to questioning. but that's not important. [ laughter ]
7:33am
>> stephanie: what was your favorite highlight again, everybody has their specific issues and yours are moms obviously. but what did you hear that you really wanted to hear? >> you bringing up bill clinton is one of my highlights because the way he took us to school in a fun and friendsly way of what is really going on with the budget, who is creating jobs, who is not creating jobs. and moms rising we have over a million members, and we get asked those questions all the time. i was slapping applausing and my wonky self did a little nerd dance. >> stephanie: yeah, jim and i started watching in a hotel bar, and people were talking to loudly, and we were like what is wrong with you, you are not paying at attention. you are talking about other things. >> there is no talking about other things. >> stephanie: we were like todd and lisa.
7:34am
kristin what is the website. www.momsrising.org. and anyone with that belly button can join. >> stephanie: delightful. now there will be a giant cane to come and pull you away. >> thank you. and you have fantastic debts coming up. >> stephanie: how cool does this sound? the shadow senator from washington, d.c. >> shadow senator senator. [ laughter ] >> stephanie: good morning, paul, thanks for joining us. >> good morning. it's exciting to be here. >> stephanie: oh, look we can't even hear you, you are a shadow. you have to get up on the microphone. >> sorry. >> stephanie: paul what did you think? >> it was incredible. it was exciting and it was a
7:35am
thrill to be here to get our message out to the country. >> stephanie: i had to ask what is a shadow senator. because d.c. is not a state? >> d.c. is not a state so citizens can vote for me but i can't cast a vote. when it come to equal representation, we don't have that. >> stephanie: let me say something technical about that that sucks. >> it does. >> stephanie: you get to advice in the senate you just don't get to vote. >> i don't get to vote. >> stephanie: dick cheney said that he used to work in the shadows, but he meant that in a creepy way. >> wyoming has less population than d.c. and when he would go as vice president to break a
7:36am
tie, the small estate has three people voting, and d.c. has none. >> stephanie: that's an issue i hope we can do something on. we have been asking everybody's highlights. what were your favorite moments? >> obviously the speeches by the president, vice president, president clinton, michelle was some great ones. i thought jennifer grandholm not in prime time quite, but really electrified the hall. i was sitting there with your next guest. it totally created an exciting atmosphere. the military tributes. >> stephanie: yeah. yeah. >> it really -- >> stephanie: there are so many moments you are right that made so many important points. i thought governor deval patrick, amazing in terms of summing up what the president has accomplished. that's so important in a jobs
7:37am
and economy election. it just -- i think it's seizing control of the narrative isn't it? >> absolutely. we can't let them define what this election is going to be about. >> stephanie: new jobs numbers out today, the unemployment rate has dropped from 8.3 to 8.1, reinforcing a point that so many have made, we are going in the right direction with no help from the other side. >> forward is the right direction. we have to be vigilant about avoiding voter suppression. that is the republican strategy for winning this election is depressing the turnout. i was part of the effort group of lawyers to keep people's rights in tact in ohio --
7:38am
>> stephanie: right. good ruling for ohio and texas, right. >> this is what it comes down to is can we get our votes out. and the enthusiasm factor has been brought back to the democratic party and our campaign. >> stephanie: another very powerful indictment in terms of seizing back all of those things that the republicans tell us they own. like god and the military. sister simon, nuns on the bus, was just unbelievable of the indictment. >> mitt romney didn't acknowledge a single solder in his speech yet we made it clear we appreciate the efforts of our troops. for us in the district of columbia, who we have men and women in uniform in harm's way,
7:39am
they are not even adequately funded. >> stephanie: yeah, and the one point that clint eastwood made in his speech was that we should get out of afghanistan. i was like yeah. here is the president last night, again. president obama last night. >> obama: you see the election four years ago wasn't about me. it was about you. [ cheers and applause ] >> obama: my fellow citizens you were the change. >> stephanie: i thought that was so important because we were saying there has been all this mocking from the right-wing the messiah, the chosen one, and if you went back and read all of those speeches it was always we. i was never about him. >> yes. >> attacking the strength.
7:40am
>> yeah, and again we are now fired up and ready to go. >> stephanie: i am currently bar-rocking the vote. >> there you go, and you are bar-rocking it well. >> stephanie: oh thank you. a nice t-shirt joke but i like it. and here is the president again last night. >> obama: down in tampa at the republican convention, they were more than happy to talk about everything they think is wrong with america, but they didn't have much to say about how they would make it right. they want your vote, but they don't want you to know their plan and that's because all they have to offer is the same prescriptions they have had for the last 30 years. have a surplus, try a tax cut. deficit too high? try another.
7:41am
feel a coal coming on? takes two tax cuts and call us in the morning. [ cheers and applause ] >> stephanie: yeah we got know specifics from the republicans. >> yes, and vice president made it clear when you bet against the american people that is generally a losing bet. >> stephanie: yeah. >> they are betting against the american people, but i think we will surprise them and get the vote out. we in the district of columbia just want to keep moving forward with them. >> stephanie: next time we're in d.c., i hope it's for the president's inauguration and i hope it's warmer this time. yeah, but i -- i -- i -- i'm feeling, and again we're still
7:42am
on maybe our convention high, but i was not surprised, jim, that they got no bounce or a negative bounce. the republicans thought they were on a trampoline but they were on a ricketed floor that they fell threw. don't you think? >> absolutely. we need to get you on the d.c. voter bandwagon. >> stephanie: yeah. >> taxation without representation. >> i remember a revolution that we fought about that. >> stephanie: really? i have heard about that. all right. paul straus who is d.c.'s shadow senator. thank you so much. >> thank you. we have parting gives just for
7:43am
playing today. >> stephanie: oh chocolate. you just bought my vote. there you go. we'll be right back live from charlotte, north carolina, from the hollowed out shell of the democratic national convention. >> announcer: you can't turn her off, not in the middle of turning her on. it's the "stephanie miller show." ♪ >>i jump out of my skin at people when i'm upset. they're doing this this corruption based on corruption based on corruption. >>that's an understatement, eliot.
7:44am
it doesn't matter who you are. she was trying to be cool. she walks in, bonus, bonus bonus, bonus. [ screaming ] by the way in heels, the same height. [ applause ] >> wow. >> stephanie: she's awesome. as is john fuglesang. thank you, boston. 18 minutes after the hour. let's continue on "the stephanie miller show." >> announcer: for a good time, call now.
7:45am
so, you guys grew up together. yes, since third grade... what are you lookin' at? not looking at i anything... we're not good enough for you. must be supermodels? what do you model gloves? brad, eat a snickers. why? 'cause you get a little angry when you're hungry. better? [ male announcer ] you're not you when you're hungry™. better. [ male announcer ] snickers satisfies.
7:46am
>> this court has proven to be the knowing, delighted accomplice in the billionaires' purchase of our nation.
7:47am
>> and you think it doesn't affect you? think again. [ ♪ music ♪ ] >> announcer: stephanie miller. ♪ all fired up all fired up ♪ >> don't drop it on the floor. ♪ all fired up fired up fired up, hey ♪ >> stephanie: it is the "stephanie miller show." live from the democratic
7:48am
national convention here in charlotte, north carolina. 50 minutes after the hour. i know jim there is a hot chick right there. melissa fitzgerald from west wing. hi melissa. >> hello stephanie. >> stephanie: so exciting to be here among packing boxes. >> it is exciting actually. it was such a great night last night. >> stephanie: you were in the hall. >> yes i was sitting with the d.c. delegation which was awesome. >> stephanie: i was in the hall tuesday night, and some people would say how was it in the hall -- the whole convention played great on tv. it played great in the hall. it didn't really matter, but tell us your highlights from being in the hall last night. >> well, for me obviously the highlight was barack obama. i thought he was amazing. and the other highlight for me was being part of the crowd, and looking out over the sea of people, the diversity and energy in that room and the
7:49am
camaraderie in that room. i'm so proud of our party and platform, and i think everybody is, and it just felt electric. >> stephanie: and i think that's what a convention should be. i can't believe how many texts i got from friends, saying i wish i was there. >> yeah, it was so emotional. the take away from me last night versus the republican convention, which i didn't go to, but i watched on tv -- >> stephanie: that felt inclusive didn't it? >> it felt like to me you are on your own, and ours was we're in this together. >> stephanie: yeah, who wasn't want to be a we. but you know -- but i think -- really the -- the -- generally
7:50am
everybody just said, oh my god, because it's not even partisan, it is melissa? how are you a carbon-based life form if you don't cry when you see gabby giffords. >> i agree. that was such a beautiful moment. >> stephanie: how do you not cry at michelle obama's heart-felt apparent love for her husband -- and if you are a single loser like me i cried even harder. joe biden's mangled love of his wife. [ laughter ] >> i'm not sure what i meant by that. >> stephanie: but he calls her kido. >> i love him. i do love him though. >> stephanie: i thought he was amazing last night. >> i always do. i campaigned with him on the road on governor rendel's bus tour. >> stephanie: right. >> and he is reading irish
7:51am
poetry, not even reading, reciting irish poetry, i'm like who gets away with that -- >> stephanie: uncle joe does. we just got the news that romney and the super pacs have pulled out of michigan and pennsylvania. >> seriously? i did not hear that. >> stephanie: yeah. >> in pennsylvania wow. >> stephanie: look it is printed here, so it must be true. >> i can't read it without my glasses -- >> stephanie: oh that's so cute, you are a hot actress and you need glasses. [ laughter ] >> stephanie: yeah. >> that is fascinating to me especially because of the -- you know, the voter id laws in pennsylvania. >> stephanie: right. >> they haven't been overturned yet -- >> stephanie: there was that republican doofus from pennsylvania that said out loud what you were not supposed to
7:52am
say. the voter id law was help romney win pennsylvania. >> yeah, that makes me really sad actually. that we're disenfranchising and limiting voting? >> stephanie: it seems to me if you are confident in your positions, you might want people to vote. >> that's right. >> stephanie: let's all spoon and relive this moment with president obama last night. >> obama: four years ago i promised toen the war in iraq. we did. [ cheers and applause ] . >> obama: i promised to refocus on the terrorist who actually attacked us in 9/11. and we have. in 2014 our longest war will be over. cheer [ applause ] >> obama: a new tower rises above the new york skyline. al-qaeda is on the path to defeat, and osama bin laden is
7:53am
dead. >> stephanie: as we were saying the only empty chair at our convention, osama bin laden's. snap. just great lines last night. john kerry asked osama bin laden if he is better off than he was four years ago. >> i thought john kerry did a great job last night. >> stephanie: absolutely. >> everybody did a great job. >> stephanie: yeah, it was hard to pick highlights. >> i agree with you. and president clinton was amazing. >> stephanie: the man can give a speech. the story of the convention he was ripping for 40% of it. >> i did not know that. he is incredible. what a mind. incredible heart and mind. >> stephanie: the fact that he can present facts with so much charm and humor in a way that is so understandable to ordinary people. >> that's why they hate him. >> do they hate him, though? they seem to be claiming him
7:54am
now. >> yeah, that's true. >> stephanie: that was a little extra layer of partisan glee i had when realizing that somebody that effective was speaking, the heads exploding at fox news! do we have to carry this? oh! >> what i loved about his speech and what i loved about our president, is the inclusiveness. and i come from a republican family -- >> stephanie: oh, hello, me too. >> i knew that actually. we grew up thinking that we don't have to be enemies. >> stephanie: they were back then. politics has always been a tough business. >> but never like now that i remember. i done remember it being so partisan and ugly. >> stephanie: even president clinton, they did not handle him with kid gloves but he said i
7:55am
have never seen such hatred. >> yeah, and i think it's terrible for the country. we need both sides, and if we can come together we can do so much more for the country than even what we're able to do now that are good ideas. >> stephanie: just you and me sister together. tell us what you are here filming. >> we were here filming a wonderful web series called chasing the hill. and it's about a run for congress, and the show is created by brent rosky, and it is a wonderful look at a run for congress. >> stephanie: we will have you on, on my l.a. home girl, we'll have you on in studio. >> i would love it. >> stephanie: great new bf except for jacki. oh, she's watching. we'll all be bffs.
7:56am
thank you so much. >> thank you stephanie. >> stephanie: we'll be right back live from charlotte, north carolina on the "stephanie miller show." ♪ [♪ theme music ♪] >> stephanie: okay. here we go. last hour there the democratic national convention? charlotte, north carolina. >> the arena workers can't wait to kick us off. >> stephanie: we are literally working on fumes. i may be in masking tape because they are actually masking us up.
7:57am
jacki this from tom brokaw. >> one pill makes you larger one pill makes you small [ inaudible ]. [ laughter ] >> stephanie: yeah, that's our favorite story -- >> i was hoping to have some atlantisol -- >> stephanie: jacki schechner is hyped-up on [ inaudible ]. my little shoulder doing the news coverage with pneumonia. >> good morning, everybody. the only consensus we have seeing so far on the job numbers is they are fairly open to interpretation. we did create new jobs, so that is 30 straight months of positive job growth. and most experts say we need be
7:58am
creating about 200,000 new jobs every month to get us truly out of the hole. the administration says as usual there is more work to be done. harry reid also said they keep blocking efforts. mitt romney put out a statement on the job numbers. points out with last night was the party, this morn is the hangover, although we know he doesn't party, so i don't know how he would know. and the unemployment rate drops to 8.1% but that is unfortunately because a lot of people have stopped looking for jobs. we wanted to show you this brief moment again this is gabby giffords. an incredibly emotional moment.
7:59am
she took the stage with her friend debbie wasserman schultz. she did resign from congress in january to focus on her recovery. we are back with more stephanie after the break. say with us. ♪ everything. >>as barack obama seeks a second term, with campaigns trading attacks and pundits predicting we go back to see the people and events that shaped the life of the unlikely man who would become president. >>barack was having to work out the fact that people react to him based on his racial makeup. i felt he identified with other outsiders and that was a good story.
8:00am
8:01am
when a carpet is clean and fresh, it's irresistible. experience this in your home with resolve deep clean powder. its moist powder penetrates deep, removing three times more dirt than vacuuming alone while also neutralizing odors at their source. it's a clean you can see smell, and really enjoy. resolve deep clean powder. don't just vacuum clean, resolve clean.
8:02am
[ ♪ theme music ♪ ] >> announcer: ladies and gentlemen, it's the "stephanie miller show"! ♪ i'm walking on sunshine, woe ho ♪ ♪ i'm walking on sunshine, woe ho ♪ ♪ it's time to feel good ♪ ♪ hey all right now ♪ ♪ it's time to feel good ♪ >> stephanie: uh-huh. it is the "stephanie miller show." whoo! final hour on the final day of the democratic national convention here in charlotte, north carolina. it's just us three this hour.
8:03am
[ laughter ] >> i know, no more guests. no mas. >> stephanie: no mas, no mas. just here with the mooks. chris lavoie and jim ward. really an exhausting week but it was exciting. >> that's why they do it. >> stephanie: and now people are like can you bring your show to flavefodden -- and we're like no. this is it. >> yeah. >> stephanie: cheers to everyone at current tv. and jacki schechner who -- we didn't know what to buy her. we're going to buy her an iron lung. >> or some akupril --
8:04am
>> stephanie: i'm sorry of all of the great moments the fact that tom brokaw was all hopped up on bloopers. the producers were afraid he was stroking out. and he went to the hospital -- >> i took an ambulance to the hospital, to find out what was wrong with my linnngual supplement. >> stephanie: all right. more from president obama. >> obama: my opponent and his running mate are . . . new to foreign policy. after all you don't call russia our number one enemy. not al-qaeda russia unless you
8:05am
can still stuck in the cold war mind gap. >> i will break you. >> stephanie: and he would. >> i think he would -- well, not anymore. >> stephanie: romney and ryan have their eyes on the prize there. >> he was in the expenables too. >> that's true. >> stephanie: old body's tend to get doughy. not you. all right. more from the president last night. >> obama: they would spend more military hardware on hardware our chiefs don't even want i would use that money to put people back to work, rebuilding wars, and runways, because after two wars that have cost thousands of lives, and over $2 trillion it is time to do nation building right here at home. >> why is he so full of anger
8:06am
average. >> stephanie: he is so angry -- >> so hungry and so black. >> stephanie: wolf businesser during hurricane katrina. >> i got an email from somebody that said we look like kids passing notes in class. >> stephanie: that's right. somebody did a handy dandy graphic on the clinton -- the great clinton line on arithmetic. but, yeah, it's easily understandable. these are -- during the democrats -- during -- excuse me, 24 years in office, created 42 million jobs. during 28 years in office republicans have created 24 million jobs. >> true. >> stephanie: which is roughly half. >> arithmetics.
8:07am
>> stephanie: yeah. zero auto jobs created if romney had let detroit go bankrupt. zero private sector jobs created by republicans who blocked obama's jobs act. so that's where the jobs are boner. >> we want jobs! real jobs! just throw them out! >> stephanie: don't you wish tom brokaw had interviewed john boehner during the show while he was hopped up on ambien -- >> [ mumbling ] . >> stephanie: okay. okay. >> and then brokaw -- >> i need a translator to understand what you are on about. >> stephanie: [ laughter ] >> stephanie: do you know what he is apparently
8:08am
on -- merlot. i'm not kidding. i have read that about john boehner. >> french and gay. >> maybe that explains why his treat so -- that color. >> stephanie: just compared to the orange of his face. >> well, yeah. >> stephanie: they are crayola color. >> exactly. >> stephanie: corn flour. no that's -- >> it's one of those [ inaudible ] cowboy shots. >> stephanie: right. here is the president from last night again. >> obama: we opened millions of new acres for oil and gas exploration the last few years, and we'll open more but i will not let oil companies write this country's energy plan or collect another billion dollars in corporate welfare from our
8:09am
taxpayer taxpayers. [ cheers and applause ] >> stephanie: did you see our buddy our pal, my two moms the amazing story he wrote. he is eagle scout just incredibly well-spoken. he caused the youtube sensation when he spoke. here he was at the dnc. >> governor romney says he is against same-sex marriage because every child deserves a mother and a father. i think every child deserves a family as loving and committed as mine. [ cheers and applause ] >> because the sense of family comes from the commitment we make from each other to work through the hard times so we can enjoy the good ones. it comes from the love that binds us. that's what makes a family!
8:10am
[ cheers and applause ] >> stephanie: and walking through the protesters from the convention yesterday, that's when we do our funniest stuff, but not for air -- the anti-choice people put really -- really large graphic pictures they like to carry around >> of what -- >> stephanie: well you know -- >> what are they? come on. come on. >> no. >> stephanie: we don't have any guests this hour, we thought we would interview one of those signs -- >> and what is on the sign >> stephanie: i can't say. >> oh, all right. >> stephanie: some guy is holding a giant disgusting sign and i was wearing my obama pride lbgt -- >> yes, you were advertising yourself as a gay. >> stephanie: yes, and i was actively hoping -- i was like i kind of want to get in their face a little bit -- >> yeah, don't blame you. >> stephanie: we talked by and i barely -- here is the guy, he said --
8:11am
>> you need to repent. just like that. no conviction. >> stephanie: i was like what did he say? >> i need to eat a tent? what? >> stephanie: he expects me to get on board with that -- >> i'm tired -- >> i'm surrounded by democrats. >> stephanie: yeah, and i turned around, and i was like no it's fun! >> you should try scissoring! [ laughter ] >> stephanie: want to come to my hotel to watch some hot girl on girl. he would have dropped the sign -- >> yes. he would have fornicated with the devil right there if he could have seen that. >> the devil went to charlotte looking for a soul -- >> stephanie: he was in a bind because he was way behind
8:12am
looking to make a deal -- >> really? did you just recite a charlie daniel's -- >> stephanie: we are on fumes -- and officially out of -- >> and we still have right-wing world to go through. seriously are we the last people here. >> we are flying on lenesta. >> stephanie: oh here is a great radio roast story. all week we were saying that roger hedgehog -- >> cock! >> stephanie: excuse me? >> roger hedgecock. i had to whisper it. >> stephanie: yeah because you were a pus.
8:13am
i ran in him to literally at the airport. and ron is like you know roger hedgehog. >> cock. >> stephanie: excuse me. roger hedgecock. >> stephanie: and then we see a story that we left early because he wasn't get any good guests. >> stephanie: i'm like oh man up -- >> what was your name again. >> look it was that really ugly plaid purple jacket oh god. >> stephanie: yeah any way he left early because he said he wasn't getting any good guests. i'm like man up. you get who you can tackle. >> exactly. >> stephanie: you have to grab them from handlers. >> stephanie: the far-right -- >> stephanie: now they have a conspiracy --
8:14am
>> yeah, we were keeping all of the guests from the right-wing radio hosts. >> do some work. you have to fight for them. >> stephanie: it is ironic that hedgecock does not have the balls for radio show. you know what i'm saying show some balls! >> this is rough and tumble here. democratic conventions are still rough and tumble. >> stephanie: are we still on the air? i hope somebody has pulled the plug -- >> we mentioned roger tree balls. >> stephanie: i am so sleepy. 18 minutes after the hour. back what seems like live closest of live as we can be at this point. >> or what is left of it. >> live from charlotte, north carolina, at the democratic national convention. >> announcer: it is the "stephanie miller show."
8:15am
8:16am
it doesn't matter who you are. she was trying to be cool. she walks in, bonus, bonus bonus, bonus. [ screaming ] by the way in heels, the same height. [ applause ] >> wow. >> stephanie: she's awesome. as is john fuglesang. thank you, boston. 18 minutes after the hour. let's continue on "the stephanie miller show." >> announcer: for a good time, call now.
8:17am
it's go time. what time is it rob? oh, then it's go. go. go. go time. anybody? anybody? what time is it? oh, right. go time! ♪
8:18am
>> announcer: stephanie miller. ♪ shiny happy people holding handing ♪ [ laughter ] ♪ shiny happy people laughing ♪ >> stephanie: it is the "stephanie miller show." live from the democratic national convention here in charlotte, north carolina. they have begun dismabt ling the
8:19am
furniture here. >> we think the first lady as potus were staying at the hotel next door. >> stephanie: i asked that. because we're way out in south charlotte -- >> yeah, but it was a nice resort. >> stephanie: we were asking why there were all these barricades -- >> stephanie: oh, my god why didn't you tell me that earlier. >> i did tell you, you don't listen to me. >> stephanie: what? all right. is my jacki schechner on the air. triage are you there? precious pumpkin we are worried about you, and you are still working. >> i have walking pneumonia, and i pointed out i was running for a week not knowing i had walking
8:20am
pneumonia, so that makes it jogging pneumonia. >> stephanie: are you running on adrenalin at this point? >> yeah, you guys are a little punchy. did you see the video of tom brokaw. >> no. >> that's worth watching. you have got to watch the video. he is in rare form. hunched overlooking at the floor. yeah. he could have been just very very tired, but then you found out he took half an ambien -- >> i took too much weeletrdoxi and lllroxi -- >> stephanie: do you have any l-words for tom when he gets back. >> something to take hair of
8:21am
your aaauln. >> stephanie: yesterday she was nearly delusional she should be in an oxygen tent really. but i got a weight-wing letter about all of these health care lies, and she went through it and refuted it point by point. >> there is no illness that can stop my healthcare geekdom. >> stephanie: jacki we have not been able to talk to you all week because of the whole technical stuff -- >> the soup cans and the string were unavailable. >> stephanie: we used our bff walk key talk i cans like we usually do. but what did you think? are we overexaggerated because we were here? >> no it was night and day between the two conventions. you have one that was a gathering of stojy old white
8:22am
men, and then you had a week of empowering, energetic, inclusive, really just extraordinary kind of speeches and moments, and it just felt -- they did this thing with the undecided, which i truly believe -- if you say you are undecided you are either lying or you are not paying attention and at that point i don't care what you think. i don't think you can be undecided because they are not even remotely similar. >> stephanie: yeah. what was your sense from the twitter verse and all of the stuff you were covering from the convention? >> there was a tremendous amount of attention for people who pay at attention on line. the president's speech did not get as much attention as michelle obama but he went up against football.
8:23am
and the president went up against vmss. and the mtv viewers are very engaged. >> that's awesome. >> yeah. i started tweeting just to remind young people they should be voting. >> stephanie: you are a twitter scamp. >> get off of milan and go vote. >> stephanie: by the way everybody misses you in dc. i said you can't have her. she is ours. >> yeah, i miss the d.c. crowd too. it's a really great community. and people just care very passionately about issues and causes -- >> aaalinaa -- >> yeah, it's a little more scattered in that regard. >> stephanie: we have our little click that we have form. you would have been in your glory here. next time we're packing you and
8:24am
bringing you with us. >> yeah >> stephanie: by the way thank all the listeners that wrote about my bar-rack t-shirt, and said you can't have a bah-rack t-shirt without the word rack. >> bring me back a t-shirt that makes my boobs look good. >> stephanie: jim says every t-shirt makes your boobs look good. >> stephanie: all right. 29 minutes after the hour right back from charlotte, north carolina the "stephanie miller show" live on the road. ♪ ka
8:25am
know that his mom expected barack to be the best in everything. >>as barack obama seeks a second term, with campaigns trading attacks and pundits predicting we go back to see the people and events that shaped the life of the unlikely man who would become president. >>barack was having to work out the fact that people react to him based on his racial makeup. i felt he identified with other outsiders and that was a good story.
8:26am
8:27am
8:28am
8:29am
[ ♪ music ♪ ] >> obama: i recognize that times have changed since i first spoke to this convention. times have changed, and so have i. i'm no longer just a candidate. i'm the president. [ cheers and applause ] >> >> stephanie: i am andrew sheperd and i am president! okay. 34 minutes after the hour --
8:30am
>> he drank the stand. >> good morning, jacki schechner. >> yes? >> stephanie: hello iron lung. okay are you going directly home after this to sleep? >> yeah, i told lisa that if i'm not dead asleep at noon to come over and hit me. >> stephanie: okay. all right. >> i retweeted something yesterday from our friend the rude pundit. he said the dnc narrative went like this, michelle obama was foreplay, bill clinton was pure sex, and barack obama was the cuddling and after glow. >> stephanie: yes, i said that earlier. >> you did? >> stephanie: you are not listening to every minute of the show. what were you highlights.
8:31am
>> i have got to say jennifer grandholm rocked it. so that was awesome. and i think it was off camera that john fugelsang was like somebody should give her a show. [ laughter ] >> she was terrific. i really loved everything about bill clinton's speech. he broke it down. it was great to listen to him talk. i love that he debunked everything in such a way that it was easy to understand. he tried to neutralize the super pac money, saying every time you see one of those ads know they are lying to you. >> stephanie: that's right. dip your toe into right-wing world for us. that's why charles crowd hammer said this. >> i think it was a giant swing and a miss. bill clinton is a natural, but he struck out on this. i don't think it will move the
8:32am
needle whatsoever. it had all of the classic elements in that it was sprawling, undisciplined and truly self indulgent. it was one of the strangest speeches every given. it was what sounded to me like a campaign speech for at clinton term. >> stephanie: wow. >> did he watch the same speech? >> no. i like to listen to fox on the radio on the way home because it calms me -- >> stephanie: sure. >> and he did the same thing last night talking about how there were no specifics, and it was really horrible and he just -- i don't even know why they give him a voice anymore, because he is living in a fantasy land. >> stephanie: yeah, where everything is the opposite of what is true -- >> so angry and full of rage.
8:33am
>> stephanie: and i thought the president was pitch perfect last night. i thought it was good about the venue switch because polls were showing people wanted specifics, and he absolutely gave it to them. >> yeah, i thought the speech was going to be obama speech too specific and fox would come out and say he said nothing. >> what? >> they were saying that on morning joe too. >> yeah, they said he said nothing. i was like really? were you not listening? >> stephanie: we have to do a little impromptu jacki's health care corner. let's just say these right-wing -- they just repeating the same lies on health care and everything else. jacki is so on it with this stuff, so -- the stuff you wrote was so great, and for a long of
8:34am
these people that are still getting right-wing emails my elderly mom now can't get a doctor, because when we go they said we don't take medicare. when they ask what kind of insurance you have and you say medicare, they say we don't take medicare anymore. >> that's just not true. if you have a doctor that is not taking medicare then you need to find a new doctor. >> that's right. and that would have been true a couple of years ago before obamacare even came about. >> yeah, what the providers have agreed to do is slow down the increase in payment rates over the next few years because they know that they are getting millions and millions of more patients because of the affordable care act because more and more people will have access to doctors. so we have slowed the growth of payment but not cut payment to
8:35am
medicare providers, and i think it's important to note that there hasn't been any benefits cut, and if a doctor is saying we don't accept medicare, then there is something wrong with that doctor. and most of the doctors i have talked with actually like medicare because they get paid. when they take private insurance they don't necessarily get paid and they spend a tremendous amount of time on the phone fighting for their payments. medicare doesn't argue with them. they get the check. >> stephanie: right. i sometimes think right-wingers make up stories to make their point. >> really? >> stephanie: you don't believe what happened to my cousin, he lobbed his arm off in a combine, and his doctor said i'm not going to treat -- >> obamacare, i can't do nothing for you. >> stephanie: yeah, because of obamacare i can't help you. so death panels, wow death
8:36am
panels are back. if my mom needs a hip replacement at 90 something, they are going to tell her no, because of the unelected panel of bureaucrats. >> yeah, no. [ laughter ] >> there is a board of experts who are healthcare experts or experts in health care economics -- >> they are also physicians -- >> yeah, these are people who know what it means to talk about health care in general and we do have to talk about how we spend so much more money in this country, than any other industrialized nation and don't have anything to show for it because our outcomes are not particularly better. >> stephanie: but that's the right-wing going around, right? is that oral people be turned down for things because they are too old? >> no, it's a board that will help us figure out how to reign
8:37am
in costs. and they are not allowed to rash shun health care, or modify criteria, there are a lot of regulations of things they can and can't do. so it's a board that will evaluate and give us recommendations on how to slow the soaring cost of health care but this is not a death panel -- >> stephanie: but it will still be your insurance that decides whether to cover something. >> yes, that's the true irony of that claim. you can say this is a partisan fight, right? but when your family gets hit with a denial or a bill you can't afford, it has nothing to do with politics. it's the reality of the health care system in this country. we are controlled by these corporations. insurance companies don't provide any actual medical care. they are making money on a basic
8:38am
human need and they say yes or no to what you can or can't have. >> something like that should just be a nonprofit. >> you would think. >> stephanie: one would think. and then the last one was, oh my so and so friend's employer used -- this one makes no sense to me -- used to cover all of the employees there, but now because of obamacare, he has decided to stop covering them and just pay the -- when the mandate kicks in, he is just going to pay the penalty because it's cheaper. where do you even start with that, jacki? >> you work for a real cheap crappy employer. >> stephanie: so in order to keep and retain good employees he covered everybody, but when obamacare kicks in he is going to drop everyone -- >> he is not going to offer awesome benefits so people are
8:39am
going to leave his company. >> employers choose to offer benefits because it's a way to keep good employees. it's easier to get coverage when you get a group rate which is why employer rates are lower than people on their own. >> right. >> stephanie: now jacki -- >> and you take the quality of the benefits you get into account when you are looking for a job. >> stephanie: jacki schechner for instance when you were -- made the ill-advised decision to join our show at current, did you have the foresight to ask if pneumonia was covered? >> the expectation wasn't that i was going to get pneumonia in my lungs. i don't have that coughing hacking, spread it around the office pneumonia.
8:40am
and breathing is necessary to live. >> stephanie: jacki schechner quickly on this employer situation, first of all the mandate does not mandate employers to cover employees >> there is no mandate. what the lasses if employers choose to shove their employees out in to the private market as opposed to providing healthcare benefits, they should be required to contribute to the cost of that. because if you have individuals out on the private market if they make a certain amount of money or below, they get taxpayer subsidies to afford private insurance. so what we're saying is if a company decides to be a bad actor and pushes their employees into the exchange, they should pay for that. it should be up to the
8:41am
corporations to contribute. if your company says we're too cheap and irresponsible enough then i have no problem forcing then to contribute to the larger pot. and any fiscally conservative gop-er would like that. that you are not asking the taxpayers to fun uncompensated health care. >> stephanie: so essentially that story was complete crap? unless it's an employer that is just an obama hater that wants to say, guess what everybody, because of obama i'm going to drop all of your insurance. >> yeah i think it was ezra klein reported on the survey taken earlier this week where they asked employer how many of you are going to drop coverage based on the affordable care act. and it was zero.
8:42am
people want to keep their employees happy. >> stephanie: yeah. >> so if this is true it's ill informed, and it's a stupid idea, and -- you know, i doubt it is even true but if it is, it is a bad person to work for in the first place. >> is pneumonia contagious? >> i think it is. but i'm not hacking on anybody -- >> stephanie: awesome. awesome news for everyone there in the current new center in l.a. you will be the girl in the plastic bubble. like john travolta in that movie. the only person in any danger is poor lisa and my cat. >> stephanie: stephanie that john travolta reference was a little too old for me and jacki.
8:43am
>> i remember the boy in the bubble. >> stephanie: jacki pretends to be older than she is to she can be my bff. we miss you honey. we'll see you when we're back in town. >> have a fabulous vacation. >> stephanie: thank you for being momma's little soldier this week. >> all right. >> stephanie: we have some remaining right-wing world when we return to the democratic national convention in charlotte, north carolina. >> oh, my god, i am already having a fantastic time! >> announcer: it's the "stephanie miller show." barack, well then you'd have to know that his mom expected barack to be the best in everything. >>as barack obama seeks a second term, with campaigns trading attacks and pundits predicting
8:44am
events that shaped the life of the unlikely man who would become president. >>barack was having to work out the fact that people react to him based on his racial makeup. i felt he identified with other outsiders and that was a good story.
8:45am
8:46am
gaeme inc. thank gaemezilinsky, thank you for joining
8:47am
septic disasters are disgusting and costly, but avoidable. the rid-x septic subscriber program helps prevent backups by sending you monthly doses right to your door so you will never forget to maintain your system. sign up at rid-x.com. (vo) this is joy. >>who the heck does mitt romney think he is? (vo) this is joy on current tv. >>if mitt romney treats his magic underwear the same way as his tax returns, then he's been going commando for the past 10 years. [ ♪ music ♪ ]
8:48am
>> announcer: stephanie miller. ♪ i still haven't gotten over you yet ♪ ♪ vacation all i ever wanted ♪ ♪ vacation time to get away ♪ >> stephanie: oh, these are fancy. it is the "stephanie miller show." our very last segment live from the democratic national convention in charlotte, north carolina. and then we're on vacation next week. sexy liberal john fugelsang filling in for us. i'm going on a bike trip with sexy liberal tour director
8:49am
roland. >> that will be the highest bike tour. >> stephanie: right. and i'm going to no knock on the kennedy compound door. i'm going to pole vault -- i'm going to borrow taylor swift's pole vault and get in that sucker. but first i'm going to my 89-year-old republican mother's for homemade vegetable soup. which is the best. >> like fried sauerkraut. >> stephanie: no. >> your friend dana lohse. was she here?
8:50am
>> she would have been in that breitbart party. >> stephanie: they just piled on against sandra fluke. she said don't demand what that pay for what goes on in your bedroom. hello. michael barry wrote i hope someone was passing out free condoms tonight otherwise sandra fluke might be in trouble tomorrow morning. hey, let's drive into the right-wing world. [♪ circus music ♪] >> stephanie: you kept saying what a gaffe machine. michelle -- >> this is a man who for the last four year has committed
8:51am
gaffe after gaffe after gaffe after gaffe. and more cently has indulged in something that has not played well with the american electorate, and i think that is trying to rile up the left-flank of the belate. >> stephanie: race clownery. >> i dare say michelle mall con -- >> the first lady has enjoyed much more likability than her husband. she is no longer seen as the angry spouse. >> what? >> stephanie: wow. okay. kimberly gill foil on the five.
8:52am
>> he just seemed very presidential there was a moment when i was looking up at him, and you thought wow if you went to central casting, you couldn't pick a more perfect guy. is it such a bad thing to choose perfect? he sounds good, and he is strong and steady and just wants to get the job done. >> stephanie: he is nearly perfect. >> and then we heard a pop as kimberly gillfoil pulled her nose out of mitt romney's ass. >> stephanie: wow. wow. and rush limbaugh. >> obama did not grow up in poverty, his grandmother, the typical white woman worked in a bank. don't give me this down with the struggle business. he wasn't down with the
8:53am
struggle. you go back to 2008, the democrats were ringing their hands because he wasn't authentically black. he wasn't down with the struggle. >> stephanie: wow, that is really good that we ended with rush limbaugh because i can now vomit up all of my bad hotel food. he is like epicack. all right. kids that's it for us -- >> well, not forever. >> stephanie: well, we hope. the tickets are going fast in nyc. i would like to thank jim ward, chris lavoie the guy that owns the show jeff green, this guy -- everybody back in the
8:54am
current news center, jacki, everybody, we'll see youñ
8:55am
8:56am
8:57am
8:58am
8:59am